Haircuts

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Why must we personify haircuts with change?

As life dictates every individual's story, hair is the single witness to attest to your experiences.  It has gone through all the times that you've had, or had not, and all the successes and failures that you've had, or had not.  In a sense, as you grow more as a human being, your hair grows just as much and signifies every adventure you've taken.  By cutting your hair, you're letting go of the past experiences, holding on to the roots of new acquired knowledge, and growing into something new.

Why must we personify haircuts with change?

I remember the times when my hair wasn't done.  Sometimes it was up, at times it was down, usually it was messy, but it never needed to impress anyone.  It was in a place called home; close to the heart yet far from hands.  I could wake up in the morning and let it do what it wanted to do, it honestly didn't matter as long as it was comfortable... and there goes another strand; I see it fall.  It fell from the back of my head, the back of my mind.  Memories of home so sweet and dear; I took it for granted for what it had to offer.  Old time friends with old time memories now lay on the floor scattered in pieces.  There's more room now for a new house and hopefully new memories.

Why must we personify haircuts with change?

My hair was always neat for situations such as these; so cut and so clean.  Fresh and unique, made to stand out and grab attention as it seemed.  At the top of my head was life's greatest happiness and greatest despair; a universal need called love.  My hair went around in all directions: straight, left, curled, under, flipped, licked, and even twisted.  It came to the point when there was just too much to handle so I'd put on a hat or beanie to cover the disaster.  Hiding a mess doesn't solve the problem; it just makes it un-discoverable to the eye until you've come home, taken it off, and realized there's still nothing you can do to fix it... much hair has been cut yet the roots remain.  Hopefully to grow in a new direction, rather than the same.

Why must we personify haircuts with change?

I never paid attention to this part, I sort of put if off to the side.  It wasn't too much of a hassle until recently.  The sides of my hair grow slowly yet surely; regardless of what I want or do not want.  I'm growing up, time won't pause for age.  Eventually I will be a man and the child in my heart will remain in my dreams.  I see familiar strands fall again.  Nothing is stopping it's growth and the direction isn't changing; but at at times it's alright, let's cut the age gap, and feel younger once more.

Why must we personify haircuts with change?

There are some things in life that you aren't ready to cut out or maybe even strands of hair that have grown the same as before.  A love or an item you thought you had lost may have come back unexpectedly without notice; or better yet with.  It's the first thing you see when you get up, it doesn't seem to listen to you, it bugs you the whole day, it's the last thing you think about before you sleep, yet ruins the entire picture.  There it lies, front and center of your head; there's not much you can do with it, but deal with it in the end.  Maybe eventually it will listen, maybe eventually it'll change, maybe eventually you'll like it; but then again maybe you won't.  For now I'll keep it there, just for old times sake; I won't cut you out of my life, but you're on the center of my mind and the reason my head aches.

Why must we personify haircuts with change?

Hair once blinded my eyes, deafened my ears, covered my face, and hid my lips.  A haircut cleans the past, provides a new slate, and an allows unknown future...

... and so it ends; my eyes can see again, my ears can hear again, my face can feel again, and my lips can kiss again.

2 comments:

Zoo-Hey said...

This is a beautiful post.

Danielle Delos Reyes said...

Whoa, this was super interesting to read. I really like it Jared. [: