Leaving the Bahay Kubo

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Photobucket


My dear Barkada, there are no words or phrases that can completely sum up the love I have for you. They say once in a lifetime experiences are those that you will never forget; I can honestly say you are one of those experiences. I don’t have to reiterate what “Barkada” means to me because there is one unifying definition that seems to remain in all of us; and that is family. Barkada without a doubt is a family; a family that I have grown with and have identified with. All of us are connected with one another and have left a piece of our hearts in one shape, way, or form. Home is where the heart is, and in our case, it’s the Bahay Kubo. I’m leaving my heart in the Bahay Kubo as I take these last steps outside hoping that I have inspired, motivated, and driven you all to fight for what you believe in no matter who or what holds you back. It’s all about passion; find your passion and embrace it tightly. Do not let anyone take your passion away from you.

I must thank you Barkada. I never would have discovered my identity if not for you. I am a Filipino American completely knowledgeable of his culture, traditions, and heritage. I am truly blessed to have met some incredible individuals as well as help shape others into what they have always dreamt of; I sincerely hope that you all eventually do the same. Inspire others, help others, console others, hug, kiss, embrace, and accept others for being human whether or not you see them as perfection. Everyone enters the Bahay Kubo looking for shelter; I can guarantee you that nobody leaves the same as they once were. You’ll find yourself accepting things you never accepted before, you’ll find yourself living with individuals who you completely disagree with, you’ll find yourself giving your all as someone refuses to share the wealth; nonetheless, all of this helps create your identity. Remember what you have to give and bring to the Bahay Kubo even if it’s nothing and never forget what you leave with.

I’m leaving with pride and love for not only myself but the community. I’m leaving with my mind and heart filled with compassion and love from others. I’m leaving with absolutely nothing that I came with because I left my hardships and experiences in the house for others to learn from. I’m leaving with a vision of hope and a vision of peace. I’m leaving with tears falling from my eyes knowing my time is over but joyful that your time has just begun…

Unfortunately, I’m not leaving with you and I’m not leaving while holding your hands; you’re time isn’t over… despite this, I am leaving; I am leaving the Bahay Kubo. One day, I will return fascinated at the changes you all have made and full heartedly happy that the legacy lives on. I love you Barkada. Thank you for everything.