My Speech for Ace Banquet

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

When Sharon first asked me to be a student speaker, I was a little intrigued, surprised, nervous, and excited all at the same time. I quickly accepted from all the anxiety, and clearly, I had no idea what I was getting into. I sat down later that same day pen and paper in my hand ready to instill what I had thought could be awe inspiring and revolutionizing for the graduates... so I sat there thinking… inspiration… inspiration… something inspirational… Nothing came to mind. Well nothing yet at least.

I was baffled for several days and unsure of what to write down… then out of nowhere, like that tiny red thought bubble at the bottom right hand corner of a facebook notifying me that somebody tagged a horrible picture of me, it came to me. Inspiration is different for everybody; something that may seem inspirational to one person may not be to another. So I decided that rather than focusing on inspiration itself or even how I was inspired; I’ve found that the more important part is what you get out of inspiration.

With that being said, I was able to identify some of the aspects on campus that have actually inspired me; one of those institutions being but not limited to the Asian & Pacific Islander Student Center. I remember the first day I entered the APISC my freshman year during Bronco Fusion; the coordinator at the time was Dora Lee and I was greeted with a warm welcome and invited to eat; and right there lay before me probably the most amount of free food that I have ever seen. It was funny though, I knew that there was a catch. I felt that the more food that I put on my plate; somehow I managed to pick up 10 applications from CSA, VSA, KSA, JSA, PSA, APITG, and of course Barkada. I looked around and everywhere my head turned, I saw people interacting, relaxing, laughing, bonding, playing card games, listening to music,, strumming guitars, singing, dancing, drawing, and of course my favorite thing: studying; from that moment on, I knew that I’d come back to the APISC again and what would eventually become my “home away from home.”

I found my identity at the APISC over the past four years of my college career and I’m very proud to say that I am a product of the amazing opportunities and chances that the center has offered and made available for me. With that being said, I’ll return back to my main point that rather than focusing on inspiration itself, try to focus more on what you get out of it. As a student, a member, an activist, a teacher, a leader, a participant, a caretaker, and a listener of the APISC, these are a few things that I’ve come to learn:

I’ve learned that if you really want to see a difference, the quickest way is to make a difference. I’ve learned that counting time is not so important as making time count and that you’ll probably lose more time at trying to find more time. I’ve learned that your rights today may be considered wrongs tomorrow and that what people may perceive as social justice may actually be a moral injustice. I’ve learned that definitions change every day. I’ve learned that raising a fist no longer means breaking people apart but bringing people together. I’ve learned that just because you don’t know what you want in life doesn’t mean that you’re living it any less than somebody who does. I’ve learned that no matter how many times you run around the track you never reach the end, just a new beginning. I’ve learned that even though your life may be in your planner, the best things in life aren’t planned.

I’ve come to learn many things in my college career from the various inspirational institutions that I’ve taken part in and I am full heartedly thankful for everything that they have provided me with. As students we are here to learn and what happens after you’ve learned something? You apply it to your life and your actions. As students of the APISC, we are prepared for more than simply expanding our knowledge of our heritage, additionally we are prepared to teach others as well. We’re the physical evidence that APISC has motivated students to become the changes that they wish to see in the world and because of this, I feel that we should stand and give the coordinators, volunteers, workers, and everyone involved in the APISC an applause.

I’d like to leave you guys with a quote from Maya Angelou that inspired me to remember all the experiences I’ve learned:

I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. I’ve learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. I’ve learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you’ll miss them when they’re gone from your life. I’ve learned that making a “living” is not the same thing as making a “life.” I’ve learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back. I’ve learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision. I’ve learned that even when I have pains, I don’t have to be one. I’ve learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I’ve learned that I still have a lot to learn. I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

At the end of this, if you’ve forgotten what I’ve said and what I’ve did; it’s alright. However, I do hope that you remember how I made you feel and that you take that feeling and use it to do amazing things. Thank you.

0 comments: