Deep Talks

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Hopefully I will be able to write a complete and well thought out blog now despite the fact that I am under the influence.

Under the influence of what? Alcohol? Sure... but I am influenced by so much than just alcohol, I am under the influence of beers and deep talks. It was just one of those nights where I just had to sit down with some friends and talk about the problems and issues going on not only in just my life, but about society in general.

The hot topic of the night: Proposition 8. Yes, if you haven't heard now, this proposition has passed. Same-Sex marriage is no longer legalized in California as well as other states in America. If you've done your research, you would know the arguments on both sides and their reasons for voting yes or no.

I think that we just wanted to discuss the LGBT community in general. It most definitely is a struggle, it really is. The hardest part in any gay man's/woman's life is the coming out process and feeling "accepted" among not only loved ones but the society as a whole. The passage of 8 has only made it harder for many individuals to make it through this process or even start it. Speaking from a Filipino family perspective [as I am Filipino], most of the older generation of Filipino's automatically apply the negative connotations of the term "Bakla" to the LGBT community. Most Filipino parents don't necessarily understand what "gay" is compared to "Bakla." I guess it's understandable as they really aren't informed about what the differences are.

But in all seriousness, the "YES" on Prop 8 ads made the queer community feel like they aren't humans, that they aren't "equal" to the rest of society. It disguisted me to find that ads were using children to "protect" the sanctity of marriage. So my only question is, "So, you don't want to teach your kids about the LGBT community? You don't believe that your children should learn about that community?

Well, there will always be a difference of opinion so I shouldn't even really be arguing.

On a lighter not my "hope" for "change" has been enlightened and I am so exicted for this year's elections. Hopefully he can talk to the talk as well.

I'm meeting all my old acquaintanaces again and I'm really happy to hear from some of them. This year has many ups and down coming up. All as I ask that you guys support me for whatever is going to happen. Personally, I feel like the LGBT has been silenced after so much struggle to be heard. It's such a small percentage of the population that the vast majority is already uncomfortable with; so how does everybody get involved and support something that not only doesn't affect them, but also makes them feel uncomfortable? It's something that needs to continue to be fought for; I do believe that one day the LGBT community will be seen as equals rather than a group of individuals that must be treated differenty.

In my personal life, things have been looking up since I've de-pledged. Personal life is picking up, school is catching up, things are getting done, I'm hearing from friends again, and things that I thought I've given up on have given me hope for the future. You made my gloomy day not so gloomy; thank you so much.

0 comments: